Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Social Awareness project (interview with someone who changes the world)



The person I chose to interview was Adam Deixel He has been working at his company for over 4 years. Adam has always been there for me as I was growing up. He still is always there. He is almost like a second father, which made it much easier for me to right about how he changes the world. 
   
   Adam Deixel works for a non-profit organization called Family Care International. They  work to improve maternal health care in developing countries, mostly in Africa and in Latin America. In those countries, many women do not get the basic medical care they need to give birth safely. His organization works to get access to help these women. He told me The hardest part of his job was figuring out solutions to difficult problems, because it sounds simple to just give the women the care they need, but it is actually quite complicated. The organization has an office located in a small African country called Burkina Faso and it is incredibly poor. There are hundreds of villages and the closest medical institution is 20-30 miles away. Many women have to give birth at home and sometimes that can be very dangerous. What his organization does is figure out a plan on how to get a woman who is in labor to the closest medical institution. Those villages don’t have cars or or phones or anything. So the organization gets the people of the village to help these women get the care they need. Without the plan the woman could possibly die.  

   Sometimes it is  hard to see exactly how this organization changes the world, because real change happens slowly and the things you try to do don’t always work. When I asked Adam if he personally feels obligated to help these women his answer was “I feel obligated to try to do something to make the world a better place. Although I only change a small part of it, every part and every person counts and I’m so glad I can help these women. 

  What Adam does its exceptional. It is  so great that he is helping these women get everything they need when it comes to their maternal health. Women in these countries don’t always survive in those situations. The rate for survivors has gone way up since the organization started. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment