Monday, October 22, 2012

Perks of Being a Wallflower (revised)

Well when I first wrote this blog post, I was not very far into the book yet. I hadn't even really been introduced to the characters yet. Anyway Perks of Being a wallflower is an enticing book that is intensely detailed and very sophisticated. The author of this book obviously wanted to make the readers visualize what it was to be a high school student. It was  about a freshman named Charlie who doesn't really fit in until he finds a group of friends that let him in. He is incredibly smart and has a passion for reading and writing and sometimes he feels like he can't say anything about it. He doesn't even raise his hand in class he writes it down in his notebook. He is also a very emotional character he doesn't take hard situations very well. Then he meets this group of friends that don't judge him or make fun of him. They accept him for who he is. They encourage his writing and they break down the wall that he puts up. He lets them in.

     As I got farther into the story I realized that Charlie lets himself fly when he is with his friends. He opens up and he is willing to try new things. His friends bring out his best side. Ever since his best friend died in 8th grade he was not social. He was always alone. Nobody talked to him or even tried to be friends with him. It was hard for him. He was depressed,and there was a lot of family issues going on with his sister and his aunt. That really affected the way he was as a person. The story is told by him and every time he talks about you can tell how strongly he feels about it.

    Charlie thinks that everything he does is his fault. He blames everything on himself. He doesn't realize that he is not the cause of all bad things. He feels like everything he does is wrong. His way of escaping the world around him is hiding under his pillow and shutting himself out from everything instead of facing it. Charlie is so smart and he doesn't even realize that he has so much potential to be so amazing but he is so shy and modest that he doesn't ever speak up.

  I recommend this book to anyone. This is probably the best book I've ever read. This book would be good for anyone who wants to read about the roller coaster days known as growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment