In the book “the Drummer boy of Shiloh” by Ray Bradburry The main character, Jobyis scared and he feels alone and nervous because he is the drummer boy for the upcoming war. He is very young and this is a brand experience for Joby so I Definitely understand why he would be scared. I think that he goes through a really big change In the story. That will change the way he feels about war forever.
In the beginning of the story Joby is sitting alone under a peach tree thinking aboutthe upcoming war and what going to happen. Suddenly a peach stone falls down fromthe tree and bangs down on the drum. This terrifies Joby. He is so startled by the soundof the stone hitting the drum because it sounded like war. I donʼt even think he knew that he was that scared. If thats what startled him then I cant even imagine what it would be like for him tomorrow. I can really tell that Joby is scared because in the text it says“it struck once like panic, and jerked the boy upright. In silence he listened to his ownheart ruffle away at last gone from his ears and back to his chest again.” Is what is written in the story. I think that it proves how nervous he is.
Soon after Joby heard a noise and he thought it was someone that was trying to take him to the campsite so they could prepare for war and his heart is thumping and thenthe general crouches down under the tree and sits with Joby. Now right from the start hecan tell that Joby is scared. He is giving Joby very fatherly advice and he told Joby that it was okay to cry and he did the same the night before. He was trying to make Joby to feel like he wasnʼt the only one who was scared. He also made Joby feel like he was
important and needed in the army.
Jobyʼs feelings have changed from the beginning of the story to the end. There was a big difference in the way that he was acting and the way that he was thinking. He wasmore confident and sure of himself. He felt like he was the heart of the army.
No comments:
Post a Comment